Friday, May 9, 2008

dig deep down for that purpose.

by Lee Tao Jing

after my mother realised that my return to home at wee hours was due to my stitching at the hospital.

mother: when are you going to stop playing rugby?

me: when i cannot play lo.

mother: you mean when you break your leg?!!!

me: i mean when im too old to play. (and yes when i break my leg and recover i will continue playing hahaha)

*mother walks away and the end of conversation*


my sister recently had joined my mother in our conversation of rugby consisting of solely "when are you going to stop playing rugby?"

but she is more open to it just that she wonders when i will put all my focus to work instead.

I think its essential and good that now i can take a step back and think about why i started playing rugby ( with all the attachments along with it)?

I can think about my play, the good and the bad. What to improve on immediately when I step back again.

We talked about it. Rugby is like a drug we don't feel right after staying out of it too long. We feel lost when there are no trainings and we don't know what to do in our spare time. I just want to keep fit and lose weight. Or simply I love the game.

As a player we strive to excel in our positions.

But when as a team we can work towards our goal in Kazakhstan.

Hang on teammates. We are counting down now. A change of mindset can create a whole lot of difference. For the third time going up, we need to believe WE CAN get something out from the tournament and win.

Or on a smaller scale for me, I want to be the best prop in the tournament.

What is yours?

My fellow forwards: Let us aim for perfection and dominance in our set pieces.

Scrums and lineouts are our pride. We are the forwards because we know that we can do the scrums and lineouts better than anyone else. The set pieces affect the morale of the team and everything else good or bad continues from there.

Let's keep in our mind to hit up. Make the opposition work. When anything fails we must keep possession and we will be fine. In defence, make our calls. We will move up with "ready up! 2,3,4!"

Let's remember to talk to our scrumhalfs. They too need our support and it can get a little lonely trailing behind the ball alone and caught between both sides. LISTEN to them, with our standoff, they can be our best guiders when we just recover from a ruck/maul.

My fellow backs. Look no where else when you are heading to that try line and have no fear when you are penetrating the opposition line. The forwards will be behind you.

We have the plan. Now it is the fine tuning. Let's communicate with one another. We need to play like we had trained together for a million years.

Apologies forwards I could not join you guys to hit the damn scrum machine at CCAB.

But no worries I will be back.

(And yes i got you. Be back with a difference.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how ah. i broke my eye socket but i still want to play.
my parents dunno yet.
-- Oli.