Monday, March 1, 2010

Patience is a Virtue, and so is Fitness

by Amanda Teo



So the 15's season has ended a little over two months ago, and we're all hoping that we'd carry over whatever semblance of fitness left into the 7's season this year. We've made it through the first 7's match of the season thus far and yet, a grave misconception no less. Each time I step onto the track, my soul leaves and I imagine twenty-three others in simultaneous mid-flight, for the sole reason that we are a team. I couldn't agree more with Wing, "People tend to do the strange things in a group" or herd mentality, as justification for our weekly runs. In my head I tell myself I don't need protein for recovery: I DRINK PPPURE PPPASSION AND SURVIVE ON THAT ALONE, I AM MAGNUM STEEL (or so I say until the following morning). But in spite of a million reasons we'd like to give ourselves, there's an unspoken solidarity of muscle fatigue and the knowledge that we've survived yet another week, another session: by the fifth week we shall have conquered and conceptualized No Pain, No Gain, and by the end of the eighth we shall all be flying. And lethal.

I can hardly wait.

No comments: